Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The One Where I Made Some Additions

Wouldn't it be nice if this was where you checked out books?

I've come up with a few additions to my reading list, and I know if I don't put them on here I'll probably forget about them. That's generally how things work in my life - I buy a book, and before I can sit down and read it I've found something that looks even better (hence my large book collection). So, I now have a list of 14 books I want to read for summer (one of which I have finished). If anyone else wants to read some of these as well I would LOVE it - I'm a huge fan of having someone to talk to about the book I'm reading...maybe I should start a book club (Emmy - are you in? I'll let you make us letterpress bookmarks).

I already said I wanted to read The Monster of Florence, The Kite Runner, The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel, Dear American Airlines and The Last Song, and don't worry - those are definitely still on my list, I'm just trying to keep a good list of everything that looks good to me. There are so many good books floating in bookstore...maybe if I get in the habit of reading more often and consistently I'll get some of these finished.

NOT the Emmet O'Neal Library

The Help by Kathryn Sockett - recommended by my good friend Dawson, this has jumped to the top of the list. It sounds unbelievable and since I was number 1 million in line for it at the library I decided this might be a good "investment" (can you call something an investment if it costs you $15?).

The White Queen by Philippa Gregory - first a foremost, if you have not read everything else by Philippa (we're on a first name basis) you need to run to B&N and get those now. When you've finished reading them, get back to me. You have a few weeks because this book isn't actually out yet - don't worry, I'll be at the bookstore on my lunch break August 18th (and you should be too).

South of Broad by Pat Conroy - This doesn't come out until September (somehow GMA thought it would be funny to get us all interested in a list of books that doesn't exist yet) but it sounds fabulous! This is one that needs to be documented on the blog or I'll forget about it, and it sounds just like something I would love!

The Physick Book of Deliverence Dane by Katherine Howe - So, this one is already on my bookshelves (it's being read right after The Help) and I've read the first chapter. So far it sounds perfect, a little bit mystery, a little bit historical fiction - basically everything I look for in a good book. I'll let you know how it goes.

Loving Frank by Nancy Horan - I've been meaning to read this for awhile now, and then my sister took the book to Austria so I guess this one will have to wait for a little bit. I love Frank Lloyd Wright and anything that has even a small amount of biography in it - I'm there.

Losing Mum and Pup by Christopher Buckley - This book also has to biography feel to it. It seems sad, but I'm hoping that it's really more nostalgic and not so tearjerking. I'll save the tears for when The Last Song comes out.

Not Becoming My Mother and Other Things She Taught Me Along The Way by Ruth Reichl - I've already checked this one out at the library, and it's small so I might read this in between The Help and "Physick." I read part of the first chapter when I got home from work last night and so far it seems FUNNY. Maybe I'll pass this along to my mom when I get finished.

I just finished Blackbird by Jennifer Lauck, and although it took me awhile to get into it (I actually considered putting it down - but that's just not my style) I ended up really loving it. Loving it enough that I brought the sequel, Still Waters, back to my apartment after dinner at my parents house last night. So, that can be added to the list. When I read these will depend on when I get them from the library - I can't go out and buy all of these (sad, I know)....SO, ATTENTION JEFFERSON COUNTY LIBRARY COOPERATIVE MEMBERS: If you have any of these books, please return them - I'm on the list for a few and sadly I'm WAY down at the bottom. Speed read please.

3 comments:

  1. a. can i join your book club?

    b. i can't wait to talk to you about the help

    c. pat conroy is my favorite. all time. if i could meet someone other than jesus (who i will meet eventually) it would be pat conroy. you need to read some of his other stuff too if you haven't already. that man can write.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm SO in for a book club.

    ps...can i be next for the help? i'll buy the phillippa gregory book then let you borrow :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes - definitely. you still have wonderful tonight...READ IT.

    ReplyDelete