Monday, June 15, 2009

The One Where I Pick My Summer Reading

In the summer I always feel like I have more time for reading. Remember when we were little kids and the library had the summer reading program. In Crestline you got to write down all of the books you read, they would stamp them, and depending on how many books you read over the summer you could get some really sweet prizes - like a watergun.

Now - I work everyday, so when I get home I eat, continue to move into my apartment (or watch mindless television - The Bachelorette is on tonight!) and sleep. This summer, I'm making a point to get some reading done. So - in order to force myself to do that I'm making a list (and checking it twice...). Feel free to offer up other suggestions. I pick books that a. look interesting, but b. (and most importantly) have pretty covers.

Case and point - I just finished this. Fun, pretty cover, it's no Ayn Rand.

1. Rising Tide by John M. Barry - I've already started this, I think I have the third of three parts left to finish and it's killing me. It's very interesting, but super long, and very detailed - sometimes you just need a little mindless reading, and this is NOT it.

2. The Monster of Florence by Douglas Preston - I already own this, and have every intention of reading it, because I just read an art book I might pick something else next - but this is definitely on the list.

3. The Kite Runner by Kahled Hosseini - My sister read this and couldn't get through it but one of my best friends LOVED it and claims it as one of her favorite books, so I'm going to give it a try. A girl at work turned me back
onto it because she's in the middle of it and a little thrown off by some of the subject matter, so now I'm interested. Maybe if I like it as much as my friend did I'll add this to my reading list.

4. The Story of Edgar Sawtelle: A Novel by David Wroblewski - It's on Oprah's book list and was chosen one of Amazon's best books of the year, so OBVIOUSLY it's probably fabulous. It just seems interesting. I read this last summer, and it has the same sort of vibe...weird and creepy (but sweet), we'll see.

5. Dear American Airlines by Jonathan Miles - I like new authors, and this guy has gotten some rave reviews. PLUS this book sounds histerically funny - so if it isn't perfect from a literary stand point, who really cares?

And sadly this will have to wait until September - but I'll be one of the people who preorder it (or convince my mom to...) I'm sure I'll find other books I want to read - my parent's house is literally overflowing, but I'm hoping to squeeze these into a constantly growing list. Maybe I can even get the BF to read something other than Drudge - something like this, this (he LOVES to cook) or this.

Bonus! My bedroom in the apartment has a radiator in front of the window, and my very handy brother has promised to make me a radiator cover. PLUS, my very handy mom is going to make a cushion and some pillows to match the rest of my room. It's going to look like this picture I found on High Fashion Home, and they found it in Domino (tear...). Doesn't this look like the perfect place to curl up with a good book. I'm pretty sure once this exists in my life I'll be skipping out on the mindless television and sitting alone in my room. Does that sound depressing??

No comments:

Post a Comment